People with Heart problems are often asked to use a limited amount of oil a day. Usually that varies between 4-5 tsp of oil.
But does that mean we have to compromise on taste for health ? I would say NEVER !
The best solution is to cook smart.
Here's a yummy yet extremely healthy breakfast recipe to kick start your day.
Oats is an extremely heart friendly food because its rich in omega-3 fatty acids, folate, and potassium.This fiber-rich superfood can lower levels of bad cholesterol and help keep arteries clear.
However, Oats with simply milk and fruits might taste very bland. Also, many people who complain of acidity problems also avoid the intake of milk.Therefore, I have here included a tasty upma recipe with oats.
- 1cup Upma
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- bell peppers (According to Taste)
- 1 cup slightly boiled carrots and beans
- 2 cloves Garlic
- a pich of mustard seeds
- curry leaves
- 1tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- a pich of freshly ground pepper
1. Slightly roast the oats dry on a pan just the way you do for suji upma
2. I have slightly boiled the vegetables here as we are just using a teaspoon of oil. It will be difficult to fry the veggies properly in that amount of oil. But boiling certainly helps.
3. Add 1tsp of oil, once heated,add the mustard seeds and the curry leaves
4.Once they begin to splatter, add the onions, garlic and bell peppers.
5. Saute all of them till they change colour.
6. Add the boiled vegetables and cook for sometime
7. Add the roasted upma and mix well
8. Add 2 cups of water. Allow it to boil.
9. Keep stirring continuously. Cook for sometime and then remove from flame
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot. You can also add a pinch of freshly ground pepper for taste.
P.S: Normally for South Indian recipes like Upma, we do not use garlic. However, Garlic is a wonder food for the heart. It deters artery clogging and reverses the damage already done to the arteries. Therefore, Its there in the dish. It makes absolutely no difference to the taste but adds another healthy factor for your heart.
Enjoy Healthy Food :)
Do share your feedback and recipe ideas if any. Thanks !